Wednesday, August 14, 2019

How's that Attitude working for you?

Lately I have been spending a lot of time in my head mulling over all the bad stuff that has been happening and the people responsible for it.  Partly because I am tired of it and I want it to end already and partly because I suppose, deep down, the whole forgiveness thing is grinding on me in that I need to keep doing so.  For the old stuff and for the ongoing stuff (another post for another day no doubt).  So, yes, lots of unpleasantness going on in the brain.

However, this is not how God wants us to deal with stuff.

I read this recently:  Proverbs 15 vs 15:  All the days of the afflicted are evil, but he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast.

Truly, reading this has never made too much sense to me.  But this time I dug deeper.

What it basically means is that a negative person will always be in a negative space all their days.  They will always be on the short end of the stick, their "luck" will always be bad, they will always be the victim, people will always be mean to them.... basically, their perception of their day to day lives will lead to a lifetime of affliction, self-inflicted mostly.

Whereas, the positive person, because they choose joy, because they choose contentment, because they choose to focus on what is good, wholesome, lovely, of good report (Phil 4 vs 8), because they choose to see the good in people, and choose not to take offence, it will be as though their lives are in a place of continual "feast"/ happiness/ positivity, etc.  It is all about your attitude in your circumstances.


My bible's notes say: "Look at your attitudes and then examine what you allow to enter your mind and what you choose to dwell on. You may need to make some changes."

Having considered what that verse means, and having considered my bible's notes on the matter, the one word that literally jumped off the page for me was "DWELL"!  What am I dwelling on?

I have got to say that what I have been dwelling on has certainly tainted my "every day".  It has certainly tainted many of my conversations, and yes, to a degree, some of my decisions.

So it is with a humble and relieved heart that I now choose to "focus" on the Lord, His word, and all the good around me.  Instead of all the muck that pulls one into a life "afflicted with evil"!

I hope this has encouraged you too, to look up at the Lord and focus on Him and the good and beautiful He has placed in your life and environment, instead of the filth the devil wants you to focus on!

God bless
Tracy

4 comments:

  1. Very good reminders, Tracy, and a neat look at that Proverb. I definitely can dwell on the wrong things at times, and I agree that we choose what we'll focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a culture that thrives on being offended, this is a much needed post! A few years ago, instead of praying for the result I wanted in a hurtful situation, I started praying for the people, that God would help them fulfill their God designed plan, would help them with the struggles of the day, etc. Everything changed when I started praying for them and not praying for me. In January, someone sent me a couple of books on circling ourselves in the power of the blood - and one of the books referenced The Life of Faith by Cornelia Nuzum. I've been reading it over the last few weeks - and it has a chapter on Faith and Love which talks about forgiveness in a perspective I've never quite wrapped my brain around. On a scale of 0-5, I give this book a 10.It a compilation of articles written before WWI. I could highlight the entire book. It is so good. I recommend it! Heart hurts are so hard to live through - especially when they keep happening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete